As most of the world now knows, the Maya calendar runs out on December 21, 2012. A lot of people want to be at Chichen Itza when that happens.
Rob Rocheleau of Massachusetts has put together a tour of like-minded souls to travel to Yucatan and witness the changing of the calendar firsthand at Chichen and other archaeological sites in the region. I had dinner with Rob a few weeks ago, and he told me about his new business, Maya Sacred Adventures, and the upcoming 7-day tour of the land of the Maya during those critical dates.
As you may know from reading this blog, I don’t give much credence to what I consider the New Age interpretations of the ancient Maya, and Rob, in my mind, is of that tribe. That said, his view of Maya cosmology and prophecy is based on studies he has conducted, not with gringos, but with several Maya elders, such as the late Chan K’in in Chiapas, Alejandro Cirilo Perez Oxlaj of the Kiche Maya in Guatemala, and Hunbatz Men in Yucatan. These men are (or were) well known for sharing and explaining Maya culture to Western audiences.
Whether you are a believer or not, Rob’s tour has one important resource you might want to consider — hotel rooms, which are scarce as hen’s teeth for Dec. 21. He’s reserved a slate of rooms in Izamal, a great location that will be central to all the important sites. Furthermore, he’s put together a great itinerary:
- Dec. 17: Arrive at Cancun International Airport for transport to hotel at Izamal.
- Dec. 18: Attend a morning lecture on Maya Calender Systems, then in the afternoon visit the ancient Maya city of Dzibilchaltun, north of Merida. Have dinner in Merida.
- Dec. 19: Travel to and tour Uxmal.
- Dec. 20: Attend a morning lecture about Chichen Itza. The afternoon is open to explore Izamal.
- Dec. 21: The last day of the Maya calendar. Spend the day at Chichen Itza.
- Dec. 22: Return to Chichen Itza?.
- Dec. 23: Attend a closing ceremony, then depart for the airport.??
There are a few slots available for the tour. For more information about Rob and his Maya Sacred Adventures Tour, visit his website HERE.